Sunday, January 31, 2010

Final Few Days of the Film Festival…


So, here are my events from the final few days of the film fest. I admit I got a little relaxed in these final days, but can you blame me? All work and NO rest will kill anyone.

Thursday: Once I was up and moving I headed over to the Holiday Village Cinema. They were transitioning from primarily only holding press and industry screenings to all 4 screens running public screenings. And after the Next Generation Filmmakers panel, I wanted to make sure I caught at least one of the Next Category films. So I screened ‘Bass Akwards’ from writer/director/star Linas Phillips. It screened with an animated short film ‘The Art of Drowning’ from director Diego Maclean.

After the screening I raced back to Main Street with the goal of attending the second YouTube Presentation. However, the listing was completely a misprint. It was the day before and at a different venue, which I even went and asked about. I wasn’t a waste of time, I was able to see more of Main Street and hang out for a bit in the Filmmaker Lodge. Plus, I did learn A LOT at the previous YouTube Presentation that I didn’t feel totally cheated.

After the schedule debacle with the YouTube Presentation, I simply headed home, had little dinner and got ready for an interesting night. Now, my shift started off not exactly as I planned. I can not get into details, but I will say I am tired of incident reports. The upside of the night was out Midnight Screening: ‘Tucker & Dale vs. Evil’ director/co-writer Eli Craig and starring Tyler Labine, Alan Tudyk, Katrina Bowden and Jesse Moss.

Friday: So I slept in a bit… I do get home after 3 AM every night. So when I got up and moving, I had to make a decision while I ate breakfast. Which movie did I want to try and see? There was a Doc (‘Smash His Camera’ by Leon Gast about the Original Paparazzo, Ron Galella), a Next Category Film (New Low from writer/director/star Adam Bowers) and Dramatic Competition film (Happythankyoumoreplease from writer/director/star Josh Radnor). I chose to try and see Happythankyoumoreplease, but by the time I got all the way out to the Racquet Club Theatre, it was too late. It was such a crowded show, I never stood a chance.

I headed back to Main Street, grabbed a bite to eat and headed to my shift at the Egyptian. Now, our shift started with a private screening for HP, one of the presenting Sponsors of the Sundance Film Festival. So our 9:00 PM film was smooth. Now, our Midnight Screening was fun. The Friday Midnight Screening was ‘Louis CK: Hilarious’. It is a stand-up routine directed by and starring comic Louis CK.

Saturday: Now this was not really a day to relax. I did laundry, packed, cleaned and got ready for our Annual Midnight Team Dinner. I was a very productive day and a great day for all of us to spend time together, tell stories, laugh and enjoy some AMAZING food. Thanks to “Iron Chef” John Ho, with help from our New Box Office Girl, Dena, for all the AMAZING food we had. I’m still curious why we always make so much.

Now our final shift at the Egyptian started with ‘Tucker & Dale vs. Evil’ being the 9:00 PM film. So it started off fun. The Final Midnight Screening was Rodrigo Cortes’ film ‘Buried’ starring Ryan Reynolds.

That pretty much sums up the 2010 Sundance Film Festival in this and the previous blogs, but I will still take time tomorrow to write a recap of the entire festival including how many panels and screenings I attended, as well as list off the award winners for 2010. I’m always amazed at how fast it goes by, but also how much I learn and grow!

No comments: