Sunday, January 24, 2010

Opening Weekend of Sundance TwentyTen


OK, I’m going to get caught up on Blogging from Sundance! Here is a recap of my events and happenings over the first few days of the 2010 Sundance Film Festival.

Thursday – My amazing midnight crew and I assisted the Press Department and Special Events with the Opening Day Press Conference which featured Robert Redford and New Festival Director, John Cooper. I spent most of my time assisting with my Redford’s arrival, stay at the Egyptian and departure. After the press conference, there was a special photo shoot and interview with both Robert Redford and Kenneth Cole. Kenneth Cole supplies all the volunteer’s jackets for the film festival. After all that fun, my team assisted resetting the theatre so that it would be ready for Shorts Program 1. For the first time in a long time, one of the opening night screenings was held at the Egyptian Theatre. One of the dayside teams of volunteers actually ran the theatre for the screening, but I stayed to assist with Mr. Redford’s arrival for his introduction to the screening. I concluded the day by attending the Opening Night Party. All I can say is it was SO crowded! And, WHO were all those people?

Friday – I actually slept in a bit. I planned to head to the New Frontier on Main for a few seminars, only to find out the schedule was not exactly what was posted in the program guide. I did venture out and see what was happening on Main Street, where different venues are, and grab a bite to eat. I actually ended up assisting the teams at the Egyptian Theatre a little early… I am a bit of a workaholic. We rounded out the night with our first midnight screening of 2010, ‘Splice’ from director Vincenzo Natali and staring Adrien Brody and Sarah Polley.

Saturday – Now today, I got out there… I started the day with the World Premiere of the film ‘Winter’s Bone’ by director Debra Granik and stars Jennifer Lawrence and John Hawkes. Important fact, ‘Winter’s Bone’ was shot in Southwestern Missouri, just East of Branson. I followed that by racing over to The Sundance House for ‘The Next Generation of the 3-D Experience’ presented by HP. The panel included experts from HP, DreamWorks Animation, Disney, Sony, independent filmmakers and the NBA. It was interesting to hear where 3-D has begun to be tested, where some next steps are being taken and what new educational tools are being developed to help teach filmmakers to use 3-D to their advantage and the benefit of their projects.

Now, I followed that panel up, by racing back to the Eccles Theatre for another screening. This time I screened The Duplass Brothers’ (Jay and Mark Duplass) new feature film, ‘Cyrus’. ‘Cyrus’ stars John C. Reilly, Jonah Hill, Marisa Tomei and Catherine Keener. After that screening, all that was left was to head up the Egyptian Theatre for my Midnight Shift. The Saturday Midnight Screening was ‘The Perfect Host’ by director Nick Tomnay and stars David Hyde Pierce, Clayne Crawford and Helen Reddy.

OK, now that I’ve gotten you all caught up on my adventure so far, be sure check back for my continued adventures and film reviews.

No comments: