Saturday, October 25, 2008

MY Friends

To start my friends are probably one of my greatest assets. They build me up, back me up, keep me on the level, and sometimes they keep me grounded in reality. They are my shoulder to cry on, those I like to drink and party with, they are biggest and oldest fans. I guess I would have to say my friends make me who I am.

To all my friends, I owe you all a huge debt of gratitude and countless “thank you”s. I know I’m bad about returning, and often making, phone calls and sending E-mails, but I am trying to do better. Also, don’t be afraid to drop me a line either by phone or via E-mail. The road does go both ways.

Now, I take pride in trying to be a good friend. I always attempt to make myself available to listen to friends when they have problems, and I’ve heard them all. I’ve calmed down friends from break-ups, job losses, and the shear stupidity of humanity. As much as I am there, I know there are more friends who don’t always ask. NEVER be afraid to ask for help, regardless of what you need. If I have the time and availability, I’ll be there for you, my friends. On the other side of the coin, I’m not sure if the same is true in reverse. I always seem to have a hard time finding someone who cares enough to listen to or help me when I really need someone. And why is it that regardless of how broke or financially stable I am, I seem to be ALONE more often that not. You know, even if I have to say “NO”, I still like to get offers to do things and go out.

One thing that does piss me off is how so many friends are FAKE. They want to be your friend based on what you can do for them, get for them or who you know. Sure I know that happens more often that not in the industry I chose for a career, but I actually think it was worse working in the nightclub/bar industry. It is just sad how just because you change or loose a job, all of a sudden friends just evaporate. And I don’t mean those “Friendly Aquaintances” who just talk to you at the club/bar. I mean friend who call you to go out on nights off, come over for late night dinner, and even invite you to their house/apartment parties. It is just sad how some of those friends can so quickly turn their back on you.

And I hate loosing those I consider good friends. I know that even I will weed out those who I feel I should not keep around me, for what ever reason. Usually, I will cut out those who cause me personal harm, stab me in the back or hurt me in some other way. But it is when I loose friends for absolutely no reason, when they stop returning phone calls and ignore E-mails, I know I have a problem and get sad. I know it is part of life, friends do come and go, but it still hurts. Once someone is a friend, especially those who I feel are “good friends”, or more, I like to keep those people around.

I've come to find out that friends are VERY few and far between. I am making attempts to rekindle a few lost friendships, but usually to dead ends. I do miss my old friends, all of those that I've lost.

But more important are those that I still have by my side, I truly love and cherish those I have and hold so dear. You make me smile and laugh, you encourage and invigorate me, and you help me, not only see, but strive to be the man I need to be. Thank you all.

If you have a comment or response to my posting, please write it. I would love to hear what you have to say. Don’t be shy. Take a minute or two and just write a quick response. Thank you all for being there for me and I do hope to hear from you all.

No comments: